Friday, January 23, 2015

After - Anna Todd

Summary from Goodreads:

Tessa is a good girl with a sweet, reliable boyfriend back home. She's got direction, ambition, and a mother who's intent on keeping her that way. But she’s barely moved into her freshman dorm when she runs into Hardin. With his tousled brown hair, cocky British accent, tattoos, and lip ring, Hardin is cute and different from what she’s used to.

But he's also rude - to the point of cruelty, even. For all his attitude, Tessa should hate Hardin and she does — until she finds herself alone with him in his room. Something about his dark mood grabs her, and when they kiss it ignites within her a passion she’s never known before.

He’ll call her beautiful, then insist he isn’t the one for her and disappear again and again. Despite the reckless way he treats her, Tessa is compelled to dig deeper and find the real Hardin beneath all his lies. He pushes her away again and again, yet every time she pushes back, he only pulls her in deeper.

Tessa already has the perfect boyfriend. So why is she trying so hard to overcome her own hurt pride and Hardin’s prejudice about nice girls like her?

Unless… could this be love?

After was just too much for me. I swear I had read somewhere that it was like 50 Shades of Gray except for younger people and I don't know why I thought I should read this one. I know I did because I like Wattpad and want to read these books that are being published. There was SO MUCH SEX in this book. I was not prepared for that at all. It's the first book I've ever read where it is graphic. But that wasn't even a major issue for me. I feel like all of the sex took away from the actual story and I had a hard time getting connected to Hardin and Tessa. They are both just the worst characters. I just want to call Hardin every profanity under the sun because I hate him so much. And Tessa is like the stupidest girl ever. It's sad that girls put themselves through any form of abuse (this book was mental and emotional abuse to me) and I just could not root for either character. I rated this book a 3/5 on Goodreads because as much as I hate everything about this book, I loved the ending. That ending shocked me and I just couldn't believe it (THE SHEETS, PEOPLE, THE SHEETS). I feel so weighted down by this book that it's making me exhausted just thinking about trying to tackle the rest of the series. The guys in this book are based on One Direction but obviously way different. Hardin, the guy, is Harry Styles which of course I love because hello, Harry is mine and I want him so bad. This is my second published Wattpad book that I've read (My Life With The Walter Boys was the first) and I noticed a major difference in the reading and feeling. Ali Novak, the author of MLWTWB, actually came off as a very good writer and I felt like she never started out on Wattpad. Anna Todd, author of After, came off as an okay writer and made me feel like I was actually on Wattpad reading her story instead of the actual published version. I'm not sure if that makes sense. Anyways, this review is long but I would still say to support Wattpad - I will definitely continue to do so!

Rating:

0 comments:

Post a Comment