Friday, February 6, 2015

52 Reasons To Hate My Father - Jessica Brody

Summary from Goodreads:

Lexington Larrabee has never to work a day in her life. After all, she’s the heiress to the multi-billion-dollar Larrabee Media empire. And heiresses are not supposed to work. But then again, they’re not supposed to crash brand new Mercedes convertibles into convenience stores on Sunset Blvd either.

Which is why, on Lexi’s eighteen birthday, her ever-absent, tycoon father decides to take a more proactive approach to her wayward life. Every week for the next year, she will have to take on a different low-wage job if she ever wants to receive her beloved trust fund. But if there’s anything worse than working as a maid, a dishwasher, and a fast-food restaurant employee, it’s dealing with Luke, the arrogant, albeit moderately attractive, college intern her father has assigned to keep tabs on her.

In a hilarious “comedy of heiress” about family, forgiveness, good intentions, and best of all, second chances, Lexi learns that love can be unconditional, money can be immaterial, and, regardless of age, everyone needs a little saving. And although she might have 52 reasons to hate her father, she only needs one reason to love him.

I first discovered Jessica Brody when I read and really liked My Life Undecided. I immediately started adding all her books to my TBR list and bought whatever I could. 52 Reasons to Hate My Father has been sitting with me forever, haunting me, and begging me to read it. I really wanted to make sure I read it at the right time because I have very high expectations for all of Jessica's books now. So... I am very happy to say that I loved 52 Reasons! Yay! One of my first thoughts as soon as I started reading was "Wow, this is Jessica's second book I've read where our MC is getting into trouble!" But she makes it so good that it's just so enjoyable to read even though our MC is in a super sucky situation. I absolutely loved Lexi and I think I want her to be my BFF more then I wanted Brooklyn from MLU to be. I told my sister while I was reading, "I wish I could be a snotty spoiled heiress!" I know Lexi isn't that great of a person right off the bat, but really, I would love to trade for as long as possible and just get to go around and travel and have no money worries. I'm a nice person but I would take the money and the luxury in a heart beat even if I didn't have friends. (Yes, I know that's bad but since this will never actually happen, I'm okay with saying it!) I like that the romance wasn't instantaneous BUT I do wish Brody gave us more so that I felt more connected. I also wish we saw more of the jobs AND my biggest pet peeve was lack of father/daughter interaction. I know it's part of the story and I usually like my books to have no parents involved whatsoever but I think this story could've benefited from it even more. In the end, these issues don't affect how much I liked the book because Lexi is just the best and I will continue to try to read everything from Jessica Brody!

Rating:

0 comments:

Post a Comment