Thursday, November 20, 2014

Amy & Roger's Epic Detour - Morgan Matson

Summary from Goodreads:

Amy Curry is not looking forward to her summer. Her mother decided to move across the country and now it's Amy's responsibility to get their car from California to Connecticut. The only problem is, since her father died in a car accident, she isn't ready to get behind the wheel. Enter Roger. An old family friend, he also has to make the cross-country trip - and has plenty of baggage of his own. The road home may be unfamiliar - especially with their friendship venturing into uncharted territory - but together, Amy and Roger will figure out how to map their way.

Let me start by saying that I'm not sure if I agree with my 4/5 star rating on Goodreads. I've been dreading writing this review and I think it's because I really didn't like the book except for maybe the last half. But at the same time Morgan Matson is just AWESOME and she managed to still make me FEEL. My MAJOR MAJOR issue that I had with Amy & Roger's Epic Detour is that there was hardly ANY DIALOGUE. For real, this drove me INSANE. How am I supposed to get into a book when there's not talking? How am I supposed to get invested in the characters? How am I supposed to get invested and root for them to be together? It just did not work for me! I think my favorite character actually ended up being Walcott - I absolutely loved what he had to say! From there I knew the story was going to get better. The best part of this book was also all of the special touches - playlists, photos, receipts, etc... I can't wait to get these playlists made! Overall, props to Morgan Matson for her writing and for a road trip book and I'm going to leave my rating but it still isn't the best to me. I'll probably need to do a re-read in the future.

Rating: 7.5/10

0 comments:

Post a Comment