Friday, September 19, 2014

Summer State of Mind - Jen Calonita

Summary from Goodreads:

Summer has finally arrived and fifteen-year-old Harper McCallister intends to spend her days at the mall shopping or by the pool at her country club. But after receiving her latest heart-stopping credit card bill, Harper's parents makes other plans, and ship her off to camp.

Suddenly, the clueless yet ever-popular Harper is the new girl at the bottom of a social ladder she can't climb in wedge sandals and expensive clothes. She seems to be winning over super-cute camp "Lifer" Ethan, though, and if she can manage to make a few friends--and stay out of trouble--she just might find a whole new summer state of mind.

Gah this book! Okay so I like Summer State of Mind - I do! BUT...there were some problems. Just like with Katie Finn's Broken Hearts, Fences, and Other Things to Mend, I didn't like the writing, it could've been stronger. It seems Calonita is aiming these books to middle schoolers because I've read a handful of her Secrets of My Hollywood Life series and I don't remember those being kiddish. But that wasn't even the main problem. It was our MC Harper! She was so frustrating and annoying! I hated her and then I rooted for her and then I hated her and back and forth. But I enjoyed reading about camp (I wish there was more) and it reminded me a lot of The Parent Trap which is a great movie. I want Calonita to write a continuation with Harper so I can see how she will change her life after camp and what will happen with her and her bff Kate. So many unanswered questions for me! And I wish I could actually hear London's song Summer State of Mind! Overall, I like that this was the last book I chose to read as my summer is winding down here on San Juan Islands :)

Rating: 6/10

0 comments:

Post a Comment