Friday, March 14, 2014

Around The World With... (March 2014)

Hey everyone! I created a new feature for Unraveling Books! I love to travel and want to go all over the world one day and I also love books! So, I decided to find a new way to incorporate the two and came up with "Around the World with..." Each month I am going to feature one of you lovely book bloggers and ask you some questions about books and traveling.

So without further ado, here is...

Kelly from Belle of the Literati! I was very happy when she said yes because she loves to travel so this was perfect! Kelly is my go to person now when I have questions about Europe and traveling! She should be yours, too :)


If you could travel anywhere in the world where would it be?
Just one place?!...Ok, I have been obsessed with Russia since I was a little girl. YES it is because I love the movie Anastasia and who DOESN'T want to be a lost princess? I have a thing for architecture and I find it amazing how unique each European or foreign city can look based on their buildings. The Russian palaces have always fascinated me and I long to see those colorful places filled with history both beautiful and tragic. Also, I just binge read The Bronze Horseman series and I now know even MORE about Russian history and culture and am just DYING to go there...hopefully very soon!


If you were a city what city would you be?
I love this question! If I were a city I think I would have to be London. There is this amazing fusion of old and new and I think my personality is similar to that. I love traditional things and I have a major obsession history in general but also specifically English history. I love art and sculptures and find London to be filled with amazing pieces. But I also LOVE modern fashion and trends. I describe myself as a person of extremes and that includes loving things of old and new and I think London exemplifies that juxtaposition more than any other city I've been to. You have 600 year old buildings next to modern museums. I love it.

Favorite place you’ve been to?
Rome. There is just this feeling I get when I'm there and I could just keep going back for more. Rome was almost my answer for what city I would be but there isn't enough modern to fit my personality but that is also why I LOVE Rome so much. The art, the sculptures, the architecture, the food, the entire vibe of the city is simply enchanting to me. I could easily live there and never leave and be happy forever.

Favorite setting in a book? Least favorite?
Favorite: Venice in City of Falling Angels by John Berendt. I read this book before I ever even fantasized about travelling to Venice and this book MADE me want to go. Even though the book made me feel like I've already been there. The description and setting development is that good. You feel like you've been to Venice and lived there all your life after reading this book. Then having been there, he did an amazing job at capturing the magic that is Venice.

Least: His Fair Assassins series by Robin LaFevers BECAUSE I have never been to Brittany or any French countryside and now I want to go SO BAD!!

Are you planning on traveling anywhere in 2014?
Always! I was in Kenya, Tanzania, and Zanzibar in Africa in January. I have tentative travel plans to Scotland and England with my sister in June. BUT if that doesn't work out I have a pretty massive travel itinerary in the works...and it is epic. That place I mentioned in the first question is my number one travel destination this year...cross your fingers I can make it work. I also am starting travel nursing which will include short assignments in places across the United States.

Favorite book set in Europe? North America (East, West, North, South, Midwest - pick a book for each location in North America or just a couple that you like)? Other place?
Europe--Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor in Prague, Czech Republic. I love how this city comes to life in this book and it is just as beautiful in person.
East--Gossip Girl in NYC baby. You can't help but fall in love with the city. It's a character all on it's own.
West--Unearthly series by Cynthia Hand in Wyoming. I have wanted to hike and fly fish and swim in a river ever since this book and experience all the great outdoors have to offer.
Midwest--Divergent! Chicago, IL. 90 min south of my hometown, woot woot!
South--Nowhere but Home by Liza Palmer in North Star, Texas! I want to live in small town Texas solely because of this book. I need some Stetsons and cowboys in my life ASAP.

If you were taking a road trip, what would be some of your must see tourist stops?
Charleston, South Carolina is a place I really want to go! All the Southern charm and old plantation houses. New Orleans I am DYING to go to. All the rich history and culture I cannot wait to experience. Boston for all the history. Texas for some Nowhere But Home love and amazing Tex-Mex food. Denver to find the boys in the Marked Men series. San Diego to bake in the sun all day long. Georgia to see Hannah. New Jersey to see Cass. And Philly to see Betty.

Favorite author? Where are they from?
This should have been hard but the staple answer is always JK Rowling from England. I am an anglophile to my heart.

0 comments:

Post a Comment