Saturday, March 8, 2014

Searching For Beautiful - Nyrae Dawn

Summary from Goodreads:

Before, Brynn had a group of best friends, a loving boyfriend, a growing talent for pottery. She had a life. And after…she had none.

When Brynn lost the boyfriend who never loved her, the friends who feel she betrayed their trust, and the new life just beginning to grow inside her, she believes her future is as empty as her body. But then Christian, the boy next door, starts coming around. Playing his guitar and pushing her to create art once more. She meets some new friends at the local community center, plus even gets her dad to look her in the eye again…sort of.

But can Brynn open up her heart to truly find her life’s own beauty, when living for the after means letting go of the before?

Searching For Beautiful is a really great, powerful book! I was hesistant to read it because I do tend to judge a book by it's cover but I'm glad I read it! Right off the bat, we're hit with a really dramatic storyline (one that I usually try to stay away from) - pregnancy. (This isn't a spoiler as it is mentioned in the summary) I can be a little judgmental when in stories or real life, I see a girl young and pregnant. I did judge Brynn right away but then when I saw how her "boyfriend" treated her when she told him about it, I was so PO'd with him that I just felt really bad for Brynn. I'm telling you, this guy is a JERK. On top of the relationship drama, Brynn is also dealing with some things in her family and with her friends. So for a sixteen year old, she has a lot going on! I was really rooting for her throughout this entire book! When Christian came in (he's sooo swoony!), I automatically related to him! He is me in the sense that we both push people to try and let go of things and move on and we push too hard sometimes but only because we want the people around us to succeed. I can really relate to how Brynn acts ("I can't do it, I can't change and move on..."), that used to kind of be me and I see how she acts in the people around me. I get frustrated when people act this way because it really is all in your mind and your attitude. Christian and I are both the type of people who change our thoughts and then change your emotions, etc... It's hard to explain! I think Searching For Beautiful is a book that can teach a lot of young adults how to change and be in charge of their own life!!

Rating: 8.5/10

0 comments:

Post a Comment