Thursday, February 20, 2014

Ten - Gretchen McNeil

"And their doom comes swiftly."

Summary from Goodreads:

SHHHH!
Don't spread the word!
Three-day weekend. Party at White Rock House on Henry Island.
You do NOT want to miss it.

It was supposed to be the weekend of their lives—an exclusive house party on Henry Island. Best friends Meg and Minnie each have their reasons for being there (which involve T.J., the school’s most eligible bachelor) and look forward to three glorious days of boys, booze and fun-filled luxury.

But what they expect is definitely not what they get, and what starts out as fun turns dark and twisted after the discovery of a DVD with a sinister message: Vengeance is mine.

Suddenly people are dying, and with a storm raging, the teens are cut off from the outside world. No electricity, no phones, no internet, and a ferry that isn’t scheduled to return for two days. As the deaths become more violent and the teens turn on each other, can Meg find the killer before more people die? Or is the killer closer to her than she could ever imagine?

I've had Ten marked as TBR since last year and I am so glad I finally decided to read it! At first I was a little hesitant and honestly thought it was going to be really cheesy but I was very pleasantly surprised! Ten is quite the thrill ride and McNeil does a great job at keeping you guessing until the VERY END. My friend and I were texting each other over the weekend sharing our guesses on who we think the killer is and I cannot wait until she finishes the book! I absolutely love horror movies so I am very shocked that I wasn't able to guess the killer correctly and am really kicking myself for it haha! Ten has the feel of the short-lived CBS show Harper's Island (which is one of my favorite shows of all time) and there was a particular moment in Ten that really, really freaked me out (i.e. the Taylor house...) that was featured in the movie House of Wax (which is another favorite of mine). I absolutely love that the story took place on an island because any good thriller/horror story has to take place in the middle of nowhere and make the characters feel like they are stranded and alone. Overall, I thought the characters were decent. I liked Meg a lot and thought it was fun seeing her piece together clues and look at the situation differently because she's a writer. And as disturbing as it is to say, I liked the way the teens were murdered and when you read the book, you will learn why they were killed the way they were! If you're looking for a creepy, thrilling read then go read Ten! :)

Rating: 8/10

0 comments:

Post a Comment