Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Bright Before Sunrise - Tiffany Schmidt

"One night can change how you see the world. One night can change how you see yourself."

Summary from Goodreads:

When Jonah is forced to move from Hamilton to Cross Pointe for the second half of his senior year, "miserable" doesn't even begin to cover it. He feels like the doggy-bag from his mother's first marriage and everything else about her new life—with a new husband, new home and a new baby—is an upgrade. The people at Cross Pointe High School are pretentious and privileged—and worst of all is Brighton Waterford, the embodiment of all things superficial and popular. Jonah’s girlfriend, Carly, is his last tie to what feels real... until she breaks up with him.

For Brighton, every day is a gauntlet of demands and expectations. Since her father died, she’s relied on one coping method: smile big and pretend to be fine. It may have kept her family together, but she has no clue how to handle how she's really feeling. Today is the anniversary of his death and cracks are beginning to show. The last thing she needs is the new kid telling her how much he dislikes her for no reason she can understand. She's determined to change his mind, and when they're stuck together for the night, she finally gets her chance.

Jonah hates her at 3p.m., but how will he feel at 3 a.m.?

I knew I wanted to read Bright Before Sunrise as soon as I read the description - I love books where two people that don't get along get thrown together! But I don't know how to write this review...I definitely liked this book and I gave it 3 out of 5 stars but I also had some issues, particularly with Jonah. Starting with what I did like...I love the alternating POVs and being able to see what Jonah and Brighton were really thinking (I also liked being able to see what time of day it was); I liked Brighton - I think she is someone I can kind of relate to and I really felt for her throughout the whole story. She was the only one I was rooting for and I think she definitely changed by the end of the story. Jonah on the other hand....I wanted to smack him. What a jerk! Yes, he definitely made me swoon and yes I do like how blunt he is sometimes and he really challenges Brighton but sometimes he just really needed to shut his mouth! I read this book on my Nook and I had multiple highlights made where I was just like "Jerk." Another downside...the book is over and I don't get to be in these characters lives anymore! I WANT MORE! I want to see what life will be like for Jonah and Brighton after the weekend is over and they graduate high school. It's been almost a week since I finished the book and I still find myself weirdly thinking "I wonder if Brighton is doing ok." I just want to keep reading more about her! And how amazing is the opening quote? There could not be a more real statement then that! I used to basically be negative and just hated the world but literally over night I had an epiphany and I changed myself and now I'm a happy person who doesn't worry or stress out so much anymore. I'm actually glad that this book wasn't overloaded with cute, fluffy moments that make me giggle (even though that's what I love) because in the end, Bright Before Sunrise was a real book with real characters showing us that life is hard but in the end it is possible to change.

Rating: 7/10

0 comments:

Post a Comment