Monday, November 11, 2013

Snow Queen - Emma Harrison

"This is war."

Summary: Aubrey finally gets to go to Vermont with her best friend Christie! Thinking she just gets to have fun and actually see some snow, she jumps at the chance to go. But little does she know that Christie has signed her up for the Snow Queen pageant. How will Aubrey and Christie fair?

I read this book as part of the Ho-Ho-Ho Read-a-Thon and I was really excited to read it! It had everything I normally love - winter, vacation, a winter place like Vermont, and of course the hot rich guy :) While this book is a typical cliche book which I love(!), this one just didn't do it for me this time. The reason for that...THE CHARACTERS. Oh my gosh I can't even. These were some of the worst characters that I have ever come across. I feel like there are no redeeming qualities to them because I am just so annoyed. There's Aubrey - she's super competitive and stands up for herself and for Christie which is great but when it comes to the cute guy...she is very wishy-washy. She likes Grayson a lot but he is always standing up for his evil sister and takes her side because they're family and Aubrey gets mad every time he does that, leaves him, then he says something sweet or does something sweet, and automatically they're back to trying things again. And Grayson makes a huge decision regarding his life just to be with Aubrey that had me going "WTF?!" This is one couple that I was actually not rooting for. I like Grayson a lot though because he's a really good guy and just wanted to believe that his sister wasn't a B like everyone said she was. Then there's Christie, Aubrey's BFF. Christie and Aubrey are both participating in the pageant and Aubrey is only doing it because Christie needs support. Christie just screams 'Look at how insecure I am!' And she can't stand up for herself AT ALL. She's such a wimp. Then she has the nerve to say that Aubrey isn't paying attention to her which I don't think is true at all. Yes, Aubrey gets wrapped up in trying to win but that wasn't until the end of the book. I feel like Christie is just so insecure that she needed to be the main focus. So annoying. And by the end of the book, I really don't think anyone learned how to change! Like I said, the concept of the book is fun but it needed better characters!!

Rating: 5/10

0 comments:

Post a Comment