Thursday, February 12, 2015

Fixing Delilah - Sarah Ockler

Summary from Goodreads:

Things in Delilah Hannaford's life have a tendency to fall apart.

She used to be a good student, but she can't seem to keep it together anymore. Her "boyfriend" isn't much of a boyfriend. And her mother refuses to discuss the fight that divided their family eight years ago. Falling apart, it seems, is a Hannaford tradition.

Over a summer of new friendships, unexpected romance, and moments that test the complex bonds between mothers and daughters, Delilah must face her family's painful past. Can even her most shattered relationships be pieced together again?

From the moment I read Twenty Boy Summer, I knew Sarah Ockler was forever going to be on my TBR list. That was confirmed again when I read The Book of Broken Hearts. Unfortunately, Fixing Delilah has let me down :( This bums me out so much because everyone seems to really, really love this book. Part of me thinks maybe I just read the book at the wrong time in my life, but the other part of knows that this one was always going to turn out not to be a favorite. Here is my problem: the book didn't flow for me and I just couldn't fully get connected. Delilah is set to change herself and find a way to make things better but I don't get how Delilah got there. The story just wasn't as believable to me and some of the things that were said (specifically by Delilah and her mom), seemed out of place. The pluses: PATRICK, PATRICK, PATRICK, and oh yeah, PATRICK. Also, once again, Sarah Ockler proves to be the most beautiful writer in existence. Every sentence is just magical. Even though Fixing Delilah wasn't a major hit for me, I will always continue to read whatever Ockler puts out and you all should, too!

Rating:

0 comments:

Post a Comment