Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Nantucket Blue - Leila Howland

Summary from Goodreads:

For Cricket Thompson, a summer like this one will change everything. A summer spent on Nantucket with her best friend, Jules Clayton, and the indomitable Clayton family. A summer when she’ll make the almost unattainable Jay Logan hers. A summer to surpass all dreams.

Some of this turns out to be true. Some of it doesn’t.

When Jules and her family suffer a devastating tragedy that forces the girls apart, Jules becomes a stranger whom Cricket wonders whether she ever really knew. And instead of lying on the beach working on her caramel-colored tan, Cricket is making beds and cleaning bathrooms to support herself in paradise for the summer.

But it’s the things Cricket hadn’t counted on--most of all, falling hard for someone who should be completely off-limits--that turn her dreams into an exhilarating, bittersweet reality.

A beautiful future is within her grasp, and Cricket must find the grace to embrace it. If she does, her life could be the perfect shade of Nantucket blue.

Another book with a lot of hype surrounding it...ahhh. Okay, so I didn't hate Nantucket Blue, but I also didn't love it. Let's start with the setting - LOVED IT. Although I spent last summer on an island (the San Juan Islands) and let me tell you, it was actually a let down. The drama was INSANE. Yes, the island had it's fun, pretty moments and of course boys but it's so much better in book/movie/tv form. Speaking of boys, I'm going to give a big N-O to the romance in this book. Sure some of it was sweet but I just didn't think was appropriate and it seemed like it came out of nowhere. Also, um, how dare Jay. I wanted to smack him across the face. I know what happens to Jules in here is bad but I just really dislike how she turned out. I feel bad for Cricket and honestly don't feel bad for Jules and her family at all because of how mean Jules is. I like Cricket a lot and I thought the story as a whole was done well and flowed nicely. It was definitely an easy, fun read and I can't wait to get more in Nantucket Red! I'd like to see my feelings for Jules become less hateful and I hope the romance changes as well.

Rating:

0 comments:

Post a Comment