Monday, November 3, 2014

If I Stay - Gayle Forman

Summary from Goodreads:

On a day that started like any other, Mia had everything: a loving family, a gorgeous, admiring boyfriend, and a bright future full of music and full of choices. In an instant, almost all of that is taken from her. Caught between life and death, between a happy past and an unknowable future, Mia spends one critical day contemplating the only decision she has left. It is the most important decision she'll ever make.



I've read Gayle Forman's Just One Day and Just One Year so I had very, very high expectations going into If I Stay. Everyone raves about how great this book is and I was so excited that it got turned into a movie with Chloe Moretz but wow, this book was just not good to me at all. I rated it a 2 out of 5 on Goodreads for the ending alone because I actually did manage to shed some tears over the last 50 pages or so. I just couldn't get connected to the story and I didn't like the flashbacks and got confused. I love the concept of the story and the idea of being out of body so I give Gayle props for that but I could definitely tell this was one of her first books. I do have the second one, Where She Went, and surprisingly I am quite excited to read it (believe it or not).

Rating: 4/10

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry this one didn't work out for you! I can say that Where She Went has a completely different style - mostly because it's told from Adam's perspective (swoon!). It's more raw and gritty. There are some flashbacks though. I hope you are able to enjoy that one more - it's one of my favorites books. :)

    Danielle @ Love at First Page

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did read WSW and also didn't like it (review coming soon)...I think it's just all of the hype surrounding the books. Makes them overrated :(

      Delete