Friday, April 18, 2014

Catch a Falling Star - Kim Culbertson

Summary from Goodreads:

Nothing ever happens in Little, CA. Which is just the way Carter Moon likes it. But when Hollywood arrives to film a movie starring former child star turned PR mess Adam Jakes, everything changes. Carter's town becomes a giant glittery set and, much to her annoyance, everyone is starry-eyed for Adam. Carter seems to be the only girl not falling all over herself to get a glimpse of him. Which apparently makes her perfect for the secret offer of a lifetime: playing the role of Adam's girlfriend while he's in town, to improve his public image, in exchange for a hefty paycheck. Her family really needs the money and so Carter agrees. But it turns out Adam isn't at all who she thought he was. As they grow closer, their relationship walks a blurry line between what's real and what's fake, and Carter must open her eyes to the scariest of unexplored worlds - her future. Can Carter figure out what she wants out of life AND get the guy? Or are there no Hollywood endings in real life?
Okay so first, I am obsessed with the cover! I think it's perfect for the book and the title fits perfectly as well! It's so summery and fun! But I have such mixed feelings about this book...I liked it! But I didn't love it like I thought I would. One thing that really bugged me was the storyline with Carter's brother who is addicted to gambling. I actually wanted that to be more present in the book but it wasn't and I'm really sad with how Culbertson ended his storyline. Carter's own dancing storyline felt like it was just kind of tossed in to show that she had/has dreams and to show us that she will learn to go after them and get out of her small town. I also would've liked to have felt more connected to that. As for Adam and Carter...they had some really sweet moments that had me rooting for them! The cutest moment for me I think was when Carter made the map of Little for Adam! He seemed genuinely interested at times and there were times where I was actually blown away at how smart he sounded! I found the whole fake gf storyline to be believable and I'm sure it really happens in Hollywood!

SPOILER --> Highlight below to read!
.
.
.
I just didn't feel like Adam and Carter were actually falling for each other for real, though. In this case, I actually think Culbertson should've ended the book where Carter and Adam go their separate ways leaving us to believe that they will forever have a place in each other's hearts but that they aren't meant to be together. Instead the book kept going even longer and then they ended up together which I was really disappointed about. I liked the idea of them going their separate ways because I enjoy that bittersweet heartbreak a la Nicholas Sparks.
.
.
.
End Spoiler

Overall, I think this book is worth a try to form your own opinion. I know a lot of people seemed to have really liked it so far!!

Rating: 7.5/10

0 comments:

Post a Comment