Thursday, April 3, 2014

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe - Benjamin Alire Saenz

Summary from Goodreads:

“I got to thinking that poems were like people. Some people you got right off the bat. Some people you just didn't get--and never would get.”

Aristotle is an angry teen with a brother in prison. Dante is a know-it-all who has an unusual way of looking at the world. When the two meet at the swimming pool, they seem to have nothing in common. But as the loners start spending time together, they discover that they share a special friendship—the kind that changes lives and lasts a lifetime. And it is through this friendship that Ari and Dante will learn the most important truths about themselves and the kind of people they want to be.

I read this book as part of Octavia's virtual book club and I am glad it was the winner for the month of March! I never would've read this book on my own because the GLBT isn't in my comfort zone but I'm really glad I read it! I actually liked it even though there isn't any real storyline. It's basically just a day by day, week by week story where Ari is just telling what's going on in his daily life. Like the day he met Dante and how Dante taught him how to swim, the day Ari got a truck, the day Ari got a new job. No real climax or anything but surprisingly that didn't bother me because I was riveted in a way where I just kept flipping page after page to see what was going to happen next. I love that the chapters were so short because you could pretty stop and take a break anytime you wanted! Reading the book, you get to see a lot of Dante and how he's feeling because he expresses himself and you learn how he feels about Ari but I was really bummed to see the lack of that on Ari's side. The whole time I was reading it, I was like "Isn't Ari supposed to like Dante, I'm confused..." That made me feel like the ending got wrapped up too nice and easily! Overall, I liked this book and would recommend it to people. I liked the writing and I'm glad I read something different!

Rating: 7.75/10

0 comments:

Post a Comment