Friday, August 2, 2013

Wild Awake - Hilary T. Smith

"People are like cities: We all have alleys and gardens and secret rooftops and places where daisies sprout between the sidewalk cracks, but most of the time all we let each other see is a postcard glimpse of a floodlit statue or a skyline."

Summary: All Kiki has ever known was what her parents told her. That her sister Sukey died in a horrible accident. When her parents go on vacation, Kiki receives a phone call that sends her on a crazy journey to find out what really happened to her sister.

(*Contains slight spoilers*) I really, really, REALLY did not like this book. I felt crazed and I was really going crazy while reading it. Researching this book, I keep seeing that it explores love but all I got from it was that Kiki is crazy. Right off the bat I find out she's a pot smoker which I hate. And then she goes on this crazy hunt in a terrible part of town to learn more about her sister. It's dangerous and the people she meets are homeless drunks. She meets Skunk and he has something wrong mentally, too. The book mentions depression but it has to be something more then that. I think it's bipolar disorder or something because she is so manic and Skunk is so paranoid. And Kiki's thoughts just drove me insane. This book reminded me of the movie Black Swan because Natalie Portman went crazy because of her mother pushing her in ballet and Kiki was being pushed to practice piano 24/7. There was one point where Kiki took like 10 ibuprofen and a whole bunch of sleeping pills and no one did anything and she kept taking more and I just really wanted to scream. I could probably say more but I'll end it by saying that this book just really wasn't for me.

Rating: 0/10

0 comments:

Post a Comment