Monday, May 4, 2015

Whispers in the Dark - Chase J. Jackson

Summary from Goodreads:

College graduate Adrian Ramirez has finally landed his first job, and it's the opportunity of a lifetime: teaching at the elite Finley Academy in his hometown of Newnan, Georgia. Life is on the upswing, and Adrian returns home with girlfriend Lea and high hopes - but the Academy is not the idyll he imagined.

Along with the new pressures of adulthood, and a rising anxiety disorder he's having trouble hiding, Adrian discovers there's been a string of unexplained dropouts at the school. He suspects something is amiss with two of his students, identical twins Raven and Robin. One outgoing, one withdrawn, both keeping a secret.

When Adrian is accused of being at the center of a student's breakdown, he is forced to dig deeper to unravel the mystery, finding influences of the paranormal along the way. Will Adrian be able to unlock the dark secrets of Finley Academy - and his own past - in time?
Whispers in the Dark is a fun short read - although not strong in the writing. However, I liked the plot concept and still found myself enjoying the story (by skimming over some of the cheesy dialogue). I liked the pacing and was constantly wondering what was happening next. My predictability skills are way off so I was not able to predict what I thought I should have which made the story more fun. I usually don't like male POVs either, but for this short story I liked having Adrian as the MC (his gf was super annoying though). The ending wrapped up too quick for my liking as well.

Rating: 3/5

0 comments:

Post a Comment