Sunday, September 28, 2014

Since You've Been Gone - Morgan Matson

Summary from Goodreads:

The Pre-Sloane Emily didn't go to parties, she barely talked to guys, she didn't do anything crazy. Enter Sloane, social tornado and the best kind of best friend—the one who yanks you out of your shell.

But right before what should have been an epic summer, Sloane just… disappears. No note. No calls. No texts. No Sloane. There’s just a random to-do list. On it, thirteen Sloane-selected-definitely-bizarre-tasks that Emily would never try… unless they could lead back to her best friend.

Apple Picking at Night? Okay, easy enough.

Dance until Dawn? Sure. Why not?

Kiss a Stranger? Wait…what?

Getting through Sloane’s list would mean a lot of firsts. But Emily has this whole unexpected summer ahead of her, and the help of Frank Porter (totally unexpected) to check things off. Who knows what she’ll find?

Go Skinny Dipping? Um…
I've never read a Morgan Matson book before (just her Broken Hearts book as Katie Finn) and WOW I am so glad I started with this one first! Since You've Been Gone was AMAZING. I am officially a huge fan of Matson's and need to read everything! SYBG gave me so many feels, I was up and down in all of my emotions and when I wasn't reading the book, I felt this pull to it like I had to read it. I honestly don't know why I found it so amazing, I think it's just that it is a book that I need right now in my life. I've always wanted to do lists or scavenger hunt type things and I loved the concept and how it played out. I liked that it wasn't easy for Emily to complete the tasks and I'm glad we don't see Sloane complete any because I don't think it would've been real coming from her. Emily struggles with being brave and stepping out of her comfort zone and that is something a lot of us can relate to. I've gotten more brave over the years and am able to speak up and say something even when it might be awkward but I haven't done things like this list. I want to though! Lists like these or envelopes like in 13 Little Blue Envelopes are exactly how I want to do Europe when I go! Usually I don't like flashbacks in books (or tv shows) but it worked in here. I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE Frank! Wow, so cute! The ending left me so frustrated though because I want more and I want to see what is going to happen with Emily and Sloane. I'm also bummed about the lack of storyline at the end between Emily and her other friends because I'm left with more questions then answers. I'm not sure how much I would've liked the book if it didn't have the 'Where did Sloane go?' storyline. That really fueled me and I finished the book in 24 hours because I just had to know what was up. If you have never read a book by Morgan Matson then go read Since You've Been Gone right now! I really don't think you'll be disappointed!

Rating: 10/10

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you loved this. I love Morgan Matson! I haven't read this one yet though. My bookstore quickly ran out of hardcovers, and I want a hardcover. Haha. But hopefully I'll get to read this one soon. I like the idea of the list too. :D

    ReplyDelete