Wednesday, July 2, 2014

The Fault in Our Stars - John Green

Summary from Goodreads:

Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

Just like my review of Behind the Scenes from the other day, The Fault in Our Stars just didn't do it for me... I know everyone will hate me for giving this book a low rating but I just felt so disconnected. I haven't seen the movie yet but I think I've built the movie up so much, that the book just doesn't cut it. Honestly, a lot of the material and discussions Hazel and Gus had were way over my head and I hope I get it more when I see the movie. Because of the writing style, I ended up feeling very, very disconnected and I didn't cry at all, even when I was shocked to find out the ending! I've read many Nicholas Sparks books that deal with death and cancer, and I was hoping Green would present something similar that really drew me in. Unfortunately, The Fault in Our Stars wasn't a hit for me but I hope to read John Green's other books though.

Rating: 5/10

0 comments:

Post a Comment