Sunday, June 8, 2014

The Summer I Gave Up Boys - Kassandra Kush

Summary from Goodreads:

Kaliyah Simon just broke up with her cheating boyfriend, and now that summer break is here, all she wants is a quiet, boy-free summer. To focus on work, reading, and her tan. But then she meets up with her old high school nemesis, Isaiah Winters, on the way home, and he seems more interested in being friends than enemies. Can Kaliyah lower her walls and get over seven years of pushing Isaiah away and find out what it would be like to actually be with him?

With her best friend going boy-crazy, a twenty-first birthday looming on the horizon, Isaiah continually showing up on her doorstep, and an ex that seems to want her back, Kaliyah’s summer promises to be anything but quiet.
The Summer I Gave Up Boys is another short story that I read. This one started out good for me - I loved the back and forth banter between Kaliyah and Isaiah and there were definitely some funny parts but then it fell flat for me. The thing about short stories is everything has to be condensed so I didn't get more of what I wanted (drama and romance). What I liked though was that it definitely has a summery vibe. I also didn't like how Kaliyah is a book nerd like we all are ;) That was something I had an issue with, with the Lux series as well. I don't know why, but it seems like when an author is trying to make their MC like a book blogger, then it's like Gretchen Wieners trying to make "fetch" happen.

Rating: 6/10

0 comments:

Post a Comment