Thursday, February 6, 2014

Stealing Parker - Miranda Kenneally

“Sometimes you gotta do what’s right for you and forget about everybody else. All that matters is what you want. What you need.”

Summary from Goodreads:

Parker Shelton pretty much has the perfect life. She’s on her way to becoming valedictorian at Hundred Oaks High, she’s made the all-star softball team, and she has plenty of friends. Then her mother’s scandal rocks their small town and suddenly no one will talk to her.

Now Parker wants a new life.

So she quits softball. Drops twenty pounds. And she figures why kiss one guy when she can kiss three? Or four. Why limit herself to high school boys when the majorly cute new baseball coach seems especially flirty?

But how far is too far before she loses herself completely?
This will come as a shock if you remember how much I hated Catching Jordan but I REALLY liked Stealing Parker, you guys! IT WAS SO MUCH BETTER then CJ! I was a little hesistant at first because it sounded like it was going to an exact replica of CJ but it wasn't. While Miranda Kenneally's writing is still not great, she definitely made me think more with this one. I felt like this book was definitely more relatable. I think some of us have definitely been where Parker's been at some point in our lives (liking an older guy or just hooking up for fun) and I really enjoyed seeing her go through all of her ups and downs while trying to figure out how to live her life in the best way possible. I really wish Kenneally would stop with the little random writings throughout her books (poems/diary entries in CJ and thoughts/flashbacks in SP) because they take me out of enjoying the story every single time. I try to skip over them as much as possible even if it means missing out on some important information. I like that an older guy was featured and that Parker let him into her life because it was something that Parker needed at the time and it lead her to make some changes and decisions that she may not have otherwise! But it was a little creepy how she was kind of obsessive in the beginning and trying to change herself for him just because of one conversation. Another issue I had again was how Miranda's character seem to be pretty wishy washy but at least it was more tame in this book then in Catching Jordan! Overall, I'm just really happy that Stealing Parker ended up being a much more thought provoking and well done book and gives me hope that Miranda Kenneally is going to keep getting better and better! I can't wait to read Things I Can't Forget!

Rating: 8/10

0 comments:

Post a Comment